Monday, September 15, 2008

I Guess We're Going to Peru After All!

We haven't received official word, but we think we're going to Peru after all. [Note added September 18, 2008: We have received official word because I called the missionary department.]

One of the Biggest Disappointments of My Life
When our mission was postponed due to my heart problems, we were not given much hope of being able to serve our mission in a foreign country, especially not in Peru, where the medical facilities and expertise aren't the greatest in the world. My cardiologist told me "Yes, you'll be able to go on a mission after your operation, but not to Peru."

I was deeply disappointed. I realized that I must have lived a charmed life, because not being able to serve a mission in Peru was one of my top two or three disappointments in my entire life. At times my wife and I decided that we definitely weren't going to Peru on our mission and we started making arrangements for a U.S. mission.

Operation to Cure My Atrial Fibrillation
I had a four-hour catheter ablation on July 10, 2008. It turned out to be a mini-miracle. My heart has been beating almost flawlessly since then. I am up to running five miles, three days a week, and my heart is doing great. I even went on two runs with a heart-rate monitor attached to me, and the resulting ECG showed that my heart was working perfectly (well, nearly perfectly).

I felt so good after the operation that I started praying fervently that we would be able to serve our mission in Peru. I prayed that I would get approval from my cardiologist and from the church to go foreign.

Temple Experience
My wife and I went to the temple just before meeting with my cardiologist seven weeks after my operation. In the temple my wife received the impression that if I asked my doctor, he would write a letter supporting our desire to go to Peru. That's what I did. I met with my cardiologist on September 2, and he agreed to write a letter giving me permission to serve my mission in Peru!

Meeting with Stake President
We met with our stake president on September 9, 2008, gave him the letter from my cardiologist, gave him a letter from me explaining why I felt we could go to Peru, and then he wrote a letter and hand carried everything to the missionary department on September 10.

Approval from Salt Lake
Two days later, September 12, 2008, the stake president called and said that we enter the MTC on October 13, 2008. I asked, "And are we going to Peru?" He said, "I assume so." He said the missionary department will send out an official letter. [Well, he was mistaken. The Missionary Department told me that they do not send out new letters for a simple change in MTC date.]

Word from the Peru Lima East Mission
In the mean time, I got an email from Doug Earl, who is a missionary with the Perpetual Education Fund in Lima. His email said that he had received word from the secretary of the mission that we were coming and that we would be serving a leadership mission. That was all news to us. [Actually, the official description of our call is Member and Leadership Support.]

So we now eagerly await the official letter from the missionary department.


Andrea said...

This is great news! We are excited for you!

Whitney said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you two! I have been checking this blog regularly to get the update on what ended up happening and I am so happy to hear that you will be going to Peru after all!

Sharon said...

Dear Brother and Bev,

What a blessing for you two and for Peru!! Lin and I are thrilled that things have worked out this way...the way the Lord intended them to be. We got a little greedy there for a while thinking we might get to have you back here in New York, but it's not to be.

Our love and prayers go with you.

Ryan said...

Kenz and I are so excited for you two! If circumstances take us to South America this summer, we'll have to drop by to say hi.