Friday, November 14, 2008

Getting Around Lima

Lima is a huge, bustling, congested, foggy-smoggy city of over 11 million inhabitants. Transportation by Orem, Utah, standards is a nightmare.


Here´s a picture of a typical bus. The man hanging out the door is the ¨cobrador¨(the person who collects the money), but the gringos here call him or her the ¨barker,¨ because he or she barks out the destinations of the bus, in a loud, machine-gun type voice. The buses usually hold many, many, many more people than can reasonably fit into one bus.


In Lima everyone ignores the stop signs. You can also make a right or left turn from any lane. Is it legal? I don´t know, but everyone does it, as shown here. The pedestrian is running for her life, because pedestrians NEVER have the right of way.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I've been to Peru and Mexico and have feared my life in both places. From what I can tell Thailand is the same way...crazy!

I loved this funny post!

Sharon said...

Does this remind you of Brazil?
Sure does me! Yikes!